Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sat Feb 19 12:18:48 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 10:26 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 février 2011, à 22:26 -0600, Ted Gould a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 08:52 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> > > We would like to add "Unity" to the list of values allowed for
> > > OnlyShowIn in the menu spec.  While Unity is mostly GNOME based there
> > > are cases where we'd like some desktop files and menus that GNOME does
> > > not so the distinction is relevant.  Patch attached (it's huge!)
> >
> > Haven't seen any objection on this, I'm guessing it's not because people
> > are scared of my good looks.  Sound good to everyone?
>
> We usually wait a week or so to make sure everyone has time to object
> :-)

Ah, I didn't realize the process ;)

> Just curious: do you have examples of what you want to show/hide in
> Unity compared to GNOME? If it's only for autostarted apps,

The use that pushed me to write the patch/email was with the Desktop
Actions that we're putting in desktop file for static actions on the
Launcher.  Unfortunately, it's still an X- thing but I intend to update
it to the current version of the Desktop Actions spec soon (because of
release timing we needed something too quickly).  In the actions that
we've added and sent upstream we've been adding an "OnlyShowIn=Unity" to
ensure they won't effect other projects.  I have suggested a couple of
times that GNOME Shell should use the same actions, but I don't believe
they currently are.

I think longer term, we'd like to do things like have multiple desktop
files for applications that provide major features.  Things like
Evolution providing mail and calendar.  GNOME Shell's matching doesn't
allow for two desktop files for an executable, but we can do that with
BAMF.  So we could make the second desktop file Unity only.

I actually hadn't thought about the autostart thing -- that's a good
idea too ;)

		--Ted