Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Mon Feb 21 13:31:12 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 14:56 +0100, Pierre Wieser wrote:
> >
> > At least, xdg-open will give me a start point for most popular
> > desktops.
>
> I think its a wrong direction to head, and xdg-open shows exactly why.
> You end up with a mess of
>
> if (gnome)
> do foo
> else if (kde 3)
> do bar
> else if (kde 4)
> do bar'
>
> Thats not how I want applications to look. In most cases it is
> preferable to use the autotools approach and test for the features you
> need. Eg if you want to interact with the gnome session manager, check
> if the name org.gnome.SessionManager is taken on the bus, etc.

Well, I used to believe that autotools were rather useful at compile
time. What I am searching for here is a runtime check, and I thought
this was the meaning of the Desktop Entry keys OnlyShowIn, NotShowIn ?

I cannot suppose that having compiled my application under, say, Gnome,
it will actually be executed under the same desktop. Or should I ?

So, yes, I end up with the sort of test you do not like. I do not like
too. I may be wrong, but this is however the way I understand the spec
today.

.desktop files are meant to be shareable between desktop environments.
So we need to identify the desktop at runtime. Don't we ?

Regards
Pierre