XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

Michael Terry michael.terry at canonical.com
Tue Jul 19 08:06:01 PDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 09:38 AM, Marty Jack wrote:

> Without loss of generality the Exec key can point to a script that sets any environment variable one might want.  There is no chance of convincing all DMs to upgrade to do this based on a new key in the XSession file, nor is this special purpose mechanism needed.

Ah, great point.  So no need to worry about how the key gets set, either
the shell or the XSession file or someone can set it themselves without
involving the DMs.

> As a general proposition {Not,Only}ShowIn is not proving to be a good idea.  Many of the problem reports we have in LXDE with menu items not showing up are traced to OnlyShowIn=some other desktop.

Yeah, it's easily misused, e.g. "I'm writing in GTK+, so I should add
OnlyShowIn=GNOME".  But using the keys to partition the desktops is
still a strong use case, e.g. OnlyShowIn=KDE/NotShowIn=KDE in two
different desktop files for your app's two frontends.

-mt