Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Fri Mar 4 18:53:35 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 18:37 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 10:25 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:

> > > We usually wait a week or so to make sure everyone has time to object
> > > :-)
> >
> > I haven't seen any objection, just questions to this.  Final call?
>
> I have voiced my objection to the general idea of 'desktop switch'
> behaviour changes, but that's more of a complaint against
> XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP than against OnlyShowIn=Unity

I'm going to separate that out into another thread for discussion.  (see
next mail)

> I will point out though that the OnlyShowIn values are interpreted by
> the session manager, ie gnome-session, not by the compositor. So, are
> you going to force gnome-session to call itself Unity ? Or do you ship
> your own session manager too ?

They're not only interpreted by the session manager.  For instance in
the menus for which applications are shown to the user they are also
used.  In this specific case we were looking at Desktop Actions.

No, we don't have any plans to make a session manager.

		--Ted