XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP (was: Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values)

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:34:32 PST 2011

Thank you for mentioning this important issue again.
I think the environment variable can be used in desktop entry spec for
OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn and for determine default applications.
In addition, the proposed desktop actions spec for file managers also
needs a reliable way to determine current DE.
Since desktop entry spec is used extensively nowadays, even in other
specs such as menu and autostart specs, it's important to have a
common, easy, and reliable way to check current DE.
We already implemented support for this environment variable in our LXDE.
When XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME, we can show applications with
OnlyShowIn=GNOME rather than our apps in the application menu.
Please consider adding this to desktop entry spec.