[RFC] Fixing the Desktop Menu Specification.

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Wed Nov 9 08:33:55 PST 2011

Hi,

Le mercredi 09 novembre 2011, à 15:57 +0000, Peter TB Brett a écrit :
> All conforming implementations of the desktop specification (that I am
> aware of) display *only* the Main Categories unless explicitly
> configured otherwise.  Any application that fails to include one of
> the Main Categories in its .desktop file is (at best) shown in a "Lost
> and Found" virtual category, or not displayed at all.

This could be fixed by changing the applications.menu shipped by the
various people; I'm not entirely sure adding a new main category will
help since it won't automatically lead to it being used in
applications.menu, but we could try.

Alternatively, or in addition to that, we could suggest a default
applications.menu in the spec.

[...]

> Or will someone finally propose a way out of this situation?

Maybe we can start with a proposal and discuss it? Even if it was
discussed in the past, time has passed and people might have a different
opinion now.

Cheers,

Vincent

--