Extending the Desktop Entry spec for static app actions

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:12:41 PST 2011

Il giorno gio, 24/11/2011 alle 16.44 +0000, Peter Brett ha scritto:
> Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni at gmail.com> writes:
> > As part of GNOME 3.4, we expect to provide the applications with the
> > ability to install custom actions within their own app launcher.
> > This is something Unity has done since the first release, therefore I
> > think it would be useful to agree on a common format, so that multiple
> > environments could benefit from this feature.
> Could you please compare and contrast your proposed approach with the
> way KDE 4 implements this kind of functionality?

I didn't know KDE 4 implemented this, and therefore have no knowledge of
the details.
Rapid googling brought me this:
which seems very similar to the proposed system. In fact, they seem to
[Desktop Entry]
Actions=(string list)

[Desktop Action %s]

The primary difference I see is that they allow merging multiple desktop
files to create one list of actions, but I see that their original use
case was the context menu for a file manager, not an app launcher.

Btw, with either this or the Unity syntax, I was not able to get
multiple actions in the k menu, so if a KDE developer could step in and
tell me where I'm totally wrong, it would be appreciated.