Extending the Desktop Entry spec for static app actions

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:16:09 PST 2011

Il giorno ven, 25/11/2011 alle 00.59 +0100, Pierre Wieser ha scritto:
> > What specification are you referring to?
> > In case of DES-EMA (http://www.nautilus-actions.org/?q=node/377), I
> > don't think that's deprecated. In fact, nautilus-actions still
> > exists, even if it's not in the default package set.
>
> Humm.. Yes, I do confirm: Nautilus-Actions still exists ;)
> And no, DES-EMA is not yet deprecated (afaik).
>
> Giovanni, I am not sure I really understand what is your goal
> in this matter.
> Could you please give us an example or a use case ?

This is about giving providing applications with the possibility to show
a set of "static actions" in the app launcher. The feature in detail is
exposed here:
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/Jumplists
and here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/LauncherAPI#Quicklists
(both pages refer also to dynamic actions, although those will be
addressed using a different system)
The first example of applications that benefit from this feature is
gnome-screenshot, as explainded in the Unity wiki page. Most document
oriented apps (gedit, libreoffice) could use a "Create new document",
separate from the default "Open new window".
Terminals, browsers and other tabbed apps could have separate "Open new
tab" and "Open new window" functionality.
PIM suites like evolution or thunderbird could have different launchers
for mail, calendar, contacts and tasks, all appearing under the same
application icon. And then every mail client would benefit from "Compose
new mail", straight from the launcher.

Giovanni