Default File Manager

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Nov 29 23:38:55 PST 2011

On Tuesday, 29 de November de 2011 21.23.26, Sander Jansen wrote:
> > I don't think there's any way to show a directory with a specific file
> > selected. Maybe we could standardise on using the URL fragment for that
> > purpose, e.g.:
> >
> >        xdg-open file:///home/thiago/#valgrind.supp
> >
> > This URL above works right now, except it won't pre-select valgrind.supp.
>
> That should only work if the input is an url. It shouldn't do the same
> if file:/// is left out.

That depends on the implementation. Does it treat a string with no scheme as a
relative file path or a relative URI reference? They are not the same and are
not interpreted the same. The --help output says:

Synopsis

   xdg-open { file | URL }

It doesn't specify what type of URL it accepts, but common sense would dictate
that it accepts only absolute URLs. Any relative strings are interpreted as
file paths, not as relative URL references.

In any case, the ambiguity is completely resolved by passing a full and
absolute URL.

> A basic show-this-file in the browser would
> be nice to have. I guess for more elaborate file operations a "file
> manager dbus interface" will be better. Which gets us back to the
> problem on how do determine what file manager to start in cross
> desktop neutral way. It would be nice if we didn't need to use any of
> the native tools (exo-open,gvfs-open) and just rely on the
> inode/directory mimetype in the mimecache.

I still wonder what your use-case is. Why do you need the file manager to open
up with a specific entry selected? What other operations do you have in mind?

In most cases when people ask how to determine an application, they don't
actually need to know the application. They just need the system to perform
some operation and xdg-open already solves most of those problems.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358