Support for localized Exec entries, please

Ronny Standtke ronny.standtke at gmx.net
Sun Apr 29 14:08:27 PDT 2012

Hi all

Sorry for the late response...

> I think [$e] is a KDE specific markup, intended to be used for config
> files. Can you try without?
I just tried on Debian with "iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/$LANG/"
but, unfortunately, "$LANG" is not evaluated but instead iceweasel tries
to open the full, non-existing address "http://wiki.geogebra.org/$LANG/".

> Or running a wrapper script that does the URL substitution based on $LANG
I created a working wrapper script (again for Debian this time,
therefore "iceweasel"):
-------------------
#!/bin/sh
SHORT_LANG="$(echo $LANG | awk -F_ '{print $1}')"

case "${SHORT_LANG}" in
         de)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/de/
                 ;;
         es)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/es/
                 ;;
         fr)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/fr/
                 ;;
         it)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/it/
                 ;;
         pt)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/pt/
                 ;;
         *)
                 iceweasel http://wiki.geogebra.org/en/
                 ;;
esac
-------------------

I must say that I am not really happy with this workaround. The desktop
file syntax for locales is so easy that our teachers and students are
happily creating them with minimal instructions. If we need to fall back
to workaround scripts then our users need to have additional knowledge
in shell scripting, awk, etc. Even if I give them this workaround as a
template, the chances that they are both willing and able to learn this
are close to zero...

In addition to the difficulties with the proposed workaround for the
Exec key, I currently see no workaround for the URL and NoDisplay keys.

Can we please solve the issue the easy way by bringing the already
existing wonderful flexibility of KDE into the spec?

Best regards

Ronny Standtke