xdgmime

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Mon Jan 23 16:01:47 PST 2012

On Monday, January 23, 2012 23:20:27 David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 15 January 2012 17:40:27 DAV wrote:
> >   - indexed (by using of AVL trees) access to icon themes and its contents
> >
> > (implemetation of "
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.ht
> > ml " and
> > "
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.
> > ht ml ").
>
> My first reaction was: this, too, only seems interesting to me if it's based
> on a mmap'ed binary cache. Otherwise apps can just look things up directly
> on disk, as they already do currently. But either it only caches the
> contents of the theme files, and then it seems not so useful (there are
> only very few of them, typically, right?), or it also caches the names of
> all available icons, but that might not be a big saving compared to looking
> up in the file system directly.

Actually I would be surprised if storing the association [icon-key: resolved-
path-to-icon] wouldn't end up being a big win, at least for frequently used
icons. icon-key would have to include the name and size at the very least but
the way the icon-theme-spec is written causes a lot of directory searching if
caching isn't used. Honestly this is probably the majority of actual speedup
that KSharedDataCache gives to our current KIconLoader.

I agree the contents of the theme file itself is probably not as urgent to
cache.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne