XDG_MENU_PREFIX

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Mon Jul 2 00:17:07 PDT 2012

Hi,

Le vendredi 29 juin 2012, à 12:32 -0400, Dan Espen a écrit :

> I have questions about XDG_MENU_PREFIX as it appears
> in the spec.
>
> This appears to be a dash terminated prefix applied to
> the applications.menu.

Yes.

> My Fedora system has a lot more menus than just the
> applications.menu.  It has:
>
> /etc/xdg/menus/applications-gnome.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/documentation.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/gnomecc.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/kde4-applications.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/kde-information.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/preferences.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/server-settings.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/settings.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/start-here.menu
> /etc/xdg/menus/system-settings.menu
>
> As you can see, even the "applications-gnome" menu violates
> the XDG spec.

It doesn't violate the spec. It's just a menu called
"applications-gnome" instead of the "applications" menu with a
XDG_MENU_PREFIX environment variable set to "gnome-".

> Where is my:
>
> kde4-preferences.menu file?
>
> I just don't get the logic of having a standard for
> just the "applications" category.

I believe the rationale is that only applications.menu is reserved by
the spec, and XDG_MENU_PREFIX was a way to handle conflicts between
different applications.menu shipped by different desktops.

No other menu name is defined in the spec, and so we were instead
relying on the fact that desktops would not create conflicts.

That being said, I don't think I'd be opposed to using XDG_MENU_PREFIX
for all .menu files. We should just make sure that it doesn't create any
compatibility issue.

Cheers,

Vincent

--