Proposal: preferred-theme-spec - a spec for getting and setting default icon/cursor/sound themes

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 09:21:16 PDT 2012

1. Xsettings is a way to expose the settings to applications. It does not
define how you store the settings.

2. Xsettings, is actually used by gtk+ only. Though there is a KDE port,
it's not part of KDE. In LXDE we support Xsettings simply because we're
using gtk+. If we don't support it, our applications will clashes with
gnome ones. Gnome programs load gnome-settings-daemon, which in turns
expose gnome settings in its xsettings daemon and affect all gtk+ programs.
So, I'm forced to use xsettings. Otherwise loading gnome programs will
break my desktop settings. We don't like it at all.

3. Every desktop of course has its own way to handle settings, but it's
nice to have a common way to specify icon themes and cursors. There are
many small programs which are not bound to a specific DE. They absolutely
need this. Please, not everyone is using gnome.

The purpose of freedesktop.org is to provide cross-desktop solutions rather
than asking everyone to follow the design of the largest and most famous DE.
For someone who only use a WM like openbox or fluxbox, this spec is very
useful. Desktop independent applications can use simple ways to determine
current icon theme and sound theme without relying on DE-specific ways.
This saves all simple applications developed with pure Qt4 only. Qt4
provides no DE integration and you have to specify icon theme name yourself
in the program.

I'm with the proposed spec.