Proposal: preferred-theme-spec - a spec for getting and setting default icon/cursor/sound themes

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:26:35 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner at gnome.org>wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2012 6:23 PM, "PCMan" <pcman.tw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3. Every desktop of course has its own way to handle settings, but it's
> nice to have a common way to specify icon themes and cursors. There are
> many small programs which are not bound to a specific DE. They absolutely
> need this.
>
> To be honest, this sounds a lot like http://xkcd.com/927/ to me. Or in
> other words: hosting a spec on fdo does not guarantee adoption across
> desktops - just look where the XSettings spec is hosted :-)
>
> Regards,
> Florian

I can make sure it gets into Qt at least, and I'm sure we can coordinate to
get it into GTK with backwards compatibility. I understand where you're
coming from, but this proposed standard does not compete with any other,
and it certainly does not compete with xsettings. FWIU, xsettings is a way
of storing the data -- this standard defines the data to be stored.

J. Leclanche