URL and application handling/registration standard

Сергей Давыдов shnatsel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:04:43 PDT 2012

> Feel free to read the archives of this mailing-list to know why adding a
> list of protocols isn't a good idea, and actually harms
> interoperability.

I've found http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2008-June/009720.htmlthread
where the discussion just stalled while everybody seemed to agree on
adding a list of protocols.
It was also briefly brought up in 2010:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2010-October/011661.html and
continued in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2010-November/011679.html +
follow-ups. Opinions on that thread seem to be mixed.

The important info I got from there is that on GNOME, XFCE, LXDE etc. all
apps support any GIO-supported URLs, and that in GNOME's experience making
the "viewer" apps download the data doesn't work.

Is this a bug report?

No. I assume I have something misconfigured, unless proven otherwise :)

--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff