Proposal: $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and the xdg-* commands

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:51:51 PDT 2015

Hi

Just earlier a user encountered an issue with xdg-settings, which
would complain about an "unknown desktop environment". Looked in the
code and sure enough, it hard-checks for $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and
actually only implements kde, gnome and xfce. All other DEs are
implemented with a "dispatch_generic" which would be suitable for any
DE, really.

Seeing as we have generic functions in all xdg-* commands, cant we
merely check whether XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is set at all, and if it is
(and we dont have a specific function for the DE in question), use the
generic one?

Writing a new DE shouldn't require changing these tools. As long as we
don't do nonstandard stuff, they should just work.

J. Leclanche