[Xesam] Meaning of xesam:url

Ivan Frade ivan.frade at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:01:14 PDT 2008

Hi all,

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus at gmx.de> wrote:
> "Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> - The engines use xesam:url for providing further information. Examples:
>>>
>>>  * "file:///.../Mail/Local Folders/Inbox/?id=240915" means file "Inbox",
>>>    char position 240915 (beagle)
>>>
>>>  * "/home/albinus/Mail/default/21/ChangeLog" means (email in) file
>>>    "21", attachment "ChangeLog" (strigi)
>>>
>>>  * ".../gnome-keyring_2.20.orig.tar.gz/gnome-keyring-2.20/po/ChangeLog"
>>>    means a file in a zipped tar (strigi)
>>>
>>>  I believe, such information shall be given in other xesam fields.
>>
>> Well, that's hard to decide. Requests for standardizing the contents
>> of xesam:url has been aired a few times, but I think it is really hard
>> to achieve. For example Evolution and KMail handles email uris very
>> differently, same applies for all manner of similar apps between KDE
>> and Gnome. It would almost be a whole spec in itself to do full
>> standadization of this.
>
> A xesam field, like xesam:url, shall NOT contain engine specific
> interpretations. If it is really needed for whatever reason, they might
> set up an own ontology, with fields like strigi:url or beagle:url.

That interpretation is not engine specific, but _application_
specific. I mean, It is the problem of the client to choose the right
application to open/interpret that URL.

 The client will call the "Email" application in the system, and if
you have evolution mails, probably you will have evolution installed
:)

Regards,

Ivan