[Xesam] Wrapping up for Xesam Search Spec RC3

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Tue Aug 19 13:07:53 PDT 2008

"Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> We need to get Xesam RC3 out in good time before the hackfest. I
> personally hope at somewhere near the 1st of September, which should
> give a little time for people to update their code before the
> hackfest.
>
> I just flushed my buffers onto: http://xesam.org/main/XesamUpdates. Be
> sure to read it.

Here are some points I've accumulated last weeks. I should have raised
them earlier, but now there's the finish for RC3 ...

Typos in Ontology:

- All descriptions have no space before "(". Looks ugly.

- Descriptions end sometimes with period, sometimes not. Maybe it could
  be unified?

- xesam:Annotation: "specific annotation classes.."

- xesam:ContactGroup, xesam:replyTo, xesam:FreeBusy,
  xesam:musicBrainzAlbumArtistID, xesam:musicBrainzAlbumID,
  xesam:musicBrainzArtistID, xesam:musicBrainzFingerprint,
  xesam:musicBrainzTrackID, xesam:contentCategory, xesam:sourceCategory:
  Why are the descriptions links?

- xesam:Folder: "on occasion this rule may *be* violated" (but please
  don't trust my English)

- xesam:Media: "data bit depth, configuration" (missing space after
  comma)

- xesam:SourceCode: "Source code"

- xesam:Text: "using other classes"

- xesam:compressionAlgorithm: Incomplete description?

Other questions in Ontology:

- xesam:author: Why is it a list of strings? The description says
  "Primary contributor", which is singular.

- xesam:contributor: If it is a list of strings, the description shall
  say "Secondary contributors".

- xesam:isEncrypted: I don't understand the meaning as list of
  booleans. How are the respective values (true, false) mapped to the
  parts?

- xesam:paragrapCount: Shouldn't this be "xesam:paragraphCount"?

- xesam:eventTransparrent: Shouldn't this be "xesam:eventTransparent"?

- xesam:imdbId: Shouldn't this be "xesam:imdbID", like the other
  xesam:...ID fields?

- xesam:taskCompleted, xesam:taskDue, xesam:taskPercentComplete: What
  do the lists mean, when it is a single task?

- Sometimes, xesam:summary or xesam:snippet return "highlighted" text
  (hits enclosed by <b>...</b>, for example). Is it possible to get an
  indication for this? It influences, how the summary (or snippet) is
  visualized by the Xesam client.

- If possible, I would like to get the line number for a given hit. Is
  this xesam:lineCount? If yes, the description shall be precised. If
  not ... are there still chances for a new attribute?

- Definitely for post-1.0-release: I miss attributes, describing hits
  in a bug database, like Debian BTS, Bugzilla, ...

- What is the equivalent to Google's site clause (like site:example.com)?
  Is it xesam:originURL? xesam:remoteServer? Maybe it can be documented.

Best regards, Michael.