[Xesam] [Tracker] Proposal: Desktop Search hackfest

Anders Rune Jensen anders at iola.dk
Thu Aug 28 02:48:22 PDT 2008

Hi

I've just booked tickets and will be joining the hackfest to represent Nemo
(Arriving 18, leaving 22). My hope is to give some insight from the point of
a user of the search engines. I tried updating the wiki page but it appears
that the wiki is majorly broken. It detects my ip as localhost and
furthermore the login doesn't work. So could someone with more powers update
the desktop search wiki? ;-)

Thanks

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Jerry Tan <Jerry.Tan at sun.com> wrote:

> I would like to join it also.
>
>  On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 18:07 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
>>

>>> Proposal: Desktop Search Hackfest.
>>> Calling to: Xesam, Beagle, Tracker projects and whoever else is involved.
>>> When: September 19 + the days the developers decide before & after.
>>> Where: Berlin.
>>> Why: The Board made a call to organize hackfest around events and the
>>> Maemo Summit has answered.
>>> Budget: Funded by Nokia within reasonable terms.
>>>
>>> But why?
>>>
>>> Ok, let me explain. We have some budget to sponsor participants to
>>> https://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2008 . We want to find a balance
>>> between Maemo community contributors, related upstream developers and
>>> core developers of the Maemo SW team at Nokia. We think organizing a
>>> GNOME hackfest is a win-win.
>>>
>>> Desktop search is an interesting area. Federico explained in GUADEC
>>> the problems of Oralia finding her stuff and there are many more
>>> things unsolved. It is becoming a critical area, considering that
>>> users are getting more volumes of data, more types of files and they
>>> have them spread through several devices and the Internet.
>>>

>> Its a good idea and I know the tracker devs including myself will want
>> to attend
>>
>> I would prefer it if it was Desktop search and *Metadata* as the search
>> aspect is already well covered in Xesam but the use of a centralised
>> metadata is critical to having a well integrated desktop.
>>
>> jamie

Anders Rune Jensen
http://people.iola.dk/arj/