[Xesam] Metadata Storage Daemon

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:26:29 PST 2008

В сообщении от Wednesday 16 January 2008 00:59:58 Jamie McCracken написал(а):
> > > with a dumb metadata daemon you lose it (all the metadata still points
> > > to the old file) unless something keeps it in check (which as i said
> > > means changing vfs, email apps etc to do this)
> >
> > That is handled by another service. I don't think it is up to the indexer
> > or the store to watch files (well, maybe the indexer to update data, ok,
> > sure). And in the end even in your combined solution you have two
> > components internally. So for the sake of decoupling and cleaner APIs we
> > should define it as different services from the beginning.
>
> the user defined metadata store will be a separate dbus interface
>
> whether its a separate process is an implementation detail

Doesn't make much sense to me. This separation(indexer-provided/user-provided
and don't forget app-provided) metadata is better handled on the ontology
level to provide flexibility. Of course storage can handle user metadata in a
different way like make sure not to corrupt or lose it because unlike file
index it can't be rebuilt.

-- Evgeny