[Xesam] Sorting API to be more flexible

Urho Konttori urho.konttori at nokia.com
Fri Jun 13 03:25:47 PDT 2008

Hello,

We have been evaluating the Xesam for multiple uses at Nokia and one of
them is media player use. In many cases, where all the songs need to be
listed, they need to be listed with three sorting criteria: Artist,
Album, Track#. Xesam provides only two sorting criteria. Now, you might
argue that the application should do the tertiary sorting, but then if
we say that, then why two sorting criteria, or one?

I'm quite sure this is not the only use case where tertiary sorting (or
even more) would be beneficial.

Also, the API looks a bit glued when you have primary and secondary
sorting as the session properties. Why not instead change it to an array
of sort criteria? So, as to call it just sort.fields?

It would be very good if this sort of change could still be done to the
xesam 1.0 spec, either next to the current primary and secondary
sorting, or better yet, as the only way to set the sort order. It would
be much cleaner way to do it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to comments on the subject.

Kind regards,
Urho Konttori