[Xesam] Sorting API to be more flexible

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 06:58:56 PDT 2008

2008/6/13 Jos van den Oever <jvdoever at gmail.com>:

> 2008/6/13 Urho Konttori <urho.konttori at nokia.com>:
> > We have been evaluating the Xesam for multiple uses at Nokia and one of
> > them is media player use. In many cases, where all the songs need to be
> > listed, they need to be listed with three sorting criteria: Artist,
> > Album, Track#. Xesam provides only two sorting criteria. Now, you might
> > argue that the application should do the tertiary sorting, but then if
> > we say that, then why two sorting criteria, or one?
> >
> > I'm quite sure this is not the only use case where tertiary sorting (or
> > even more) would be beneficial.
> >
> > Also, the API looks a bit glued when you have primary and secondary
> > sorting as the session properties. Why not instead change it to an array
> > of sort criteria? So, as to call it just sort.fields?
> >
> > It would be very good if this sort of change could still be done to the
> > xesam 1.0 spec, either next to the current primary and secondary
> > sorting, or better yet, as the only way to set the sort order. It would
> > be much cleaner way to do it.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm looking forward to comments on the subject.
>
> I agree with your suggestion.
> We would also need a way for the server to specify what type of
> sorting it supports.
> For example a readonly property: sortableFields and a property that
> says how many sorting fields can be used.
> Some servers may not support sorting at all (grep) or allow only
> sorting on one field.

I am also for this, although I think it is quite a big feature compared to
our current freeze level.

It is a good point you raise Jos. I do however think that it might be
acceptable to require the servers to be able to sort the hit data. Otherwise
one might have to pull massive amounts of hits over the wire only to get
those with the highest atime at the top.

Cheers,
Mikkel