[Xesam] 1.0 blocker overview

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:54:34 PDT 2008

Hi all,

In case you where wondering we don't just roll that bloody 1.0 and get
on with our lives, here is the list of items I want a clear decision
on before we go 1.0:

 1) Error signal as discussed in:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xesam/2008-April/000115.html. I
will bump the thread on this in a sec.

 2) More flexible sorting API:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xesam/2008-June/000167.html. I
will bump the thread on this in a sec.

 3) Ditch the "abstract field concept" or keep it?
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xesam/2008-February/000098.html.
I will bump the thread on this in a sec.

 4) The details of tag handling. There appear to be some confusion
about how tags are handled (rightfully, there are hardly any docs).
Tags will be central to many so we need to be clear here. I will start
a new thread on this in a sec.

 5) Missing documentation of the fields and categories. I believe that
Evgeny accepts patches :-) I can also apply them if Evgeny sign them
off. When I have xesam-glib 0.3.0 out the door I will start looking at
this myself. I am pretty sure any help here will be appreciated.

 6) Evaluate what to do with some of the fields we miss from vcard,
TZ, GEO, CATEGORY, ROLE, as well as something to handle presence.
Nokia has inquired about this functionality. I believe Evgeny will
post something rolling up the structs-discussion that will clear this
up

 7) Add a xesam:parseError field that contains debug info from buggy
indexation. This could be as a result of broken extractors or broken
files. The purpose is mainly debugging. I will not start a thread on
this as I assume this is very uncontroversial. If you have anything to
add or question please start a thread on it.

PLEASE DO NOT POST FOLLOW UPS TO THESE POINTS IN THIS THREAD.

This thread should be considered a meta-thread containing pointers and
notifications about the blockers. So stuff about the decisions process
or new topics can go here, but the actual topics in their own thread
please.

Cheers,
Mikkel