[Xesam] Decision making process

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Wed Aug 19 04:32:32 PDT 2009

+1,
good work! democracy with multiple benevolant dictators, an oligarchy of
maintainers, in Sid Meier's civilisation: this improves production by 100%

maybe replace the "proposal" phrase with "all ontology maintainers
agreed and support this process since August 2009",
so that newcomers may find this mail in the mailinglist.

It was Evgeny Egorochkin who said at the right time 18.08.2009 10:49 the
following words:
> This is taken from
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/OntologyMaintenance
>
> "== Decision-making Process ==
>
> Proposals by Evgeny Egorochkin:
>  * Consensus-based for important issues.
>   * Majority vote doesn't suit us because 51% approval is just a good excuse
> to sweep under the rug a fundamental rift in the community.
>   * Ideas should be judged on merit based on a shared vision of the
> participants.
>   * It's really hard to decide who has a voting power in a highly dynamic and
> distributed community like ours.
>  * Minor issues may be up for voting if no consensus is found to avoid the
> project getting stuck and move on to something more important.
>  * Ontology maintainers are responsible for ensuring decision meet consensus
> criteria. This means either:
>   * Waiting long enough for all parties involved to either comment or ignore
> the issue(considered an abstention).
>   * Contacting affected parties to obtain either their comment, confirm
> abstention or to set a deadline for them to express their opinion.
>   As a consequence of being responsible, commits to the repository need a
> maintainer approval.
>  * No ticket - no commit policy. This is important to document our decisions.
> Every change must be discussed in the issue tracker before being committed.
> Every comment of parties affected by the decision must be added to the ticket
> regardless of the way the comment was communicated. The exception to this
> policy is minor technical defects such as typos, formatting.
> "
>
> I'd like to know if I can remove "Proposals by Evgeny Egorochkin:" from this
> section of the page. That is, please vote or comment ;)
>

> -- Evgeny

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313