[Xesam] The Ontology Open Source Project and OSCAF - 2nd try

Roberto Guido bob4mail at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:51:41 PDT 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 14:20:07 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> we came up with a compromise

I cannot see anything different from the previous proposal, so I have nothing
to add to previously exposed critics (burocracy, fragmentation, limits
introduced by istitutional layout, and risk of dependency by industrial
players).

On the other hand, I can advance my own idea of "compromise": leave
development of the specification in an independent community-based effort
(freedesktop?), and involve OSCAF just as a propaganda organization.

Since the only aim of that istitutional entity seems to be the dialog with
enterprise-sized vendors it is not required it drives also development, and
their members would decide whatever they want about the organization (require
an higher membership fee, close the association, escape to Cayman islands...)
with any side effect on effective development of the technology.

Technicians write the code, politics promote it. Separately.

This way:
- development is granted against any istitutional accident, such as failure of
the organization, take over by any industrial partner, change of membership
policies, attack by patents trolls, and... escape to Cayman islands :-P
- if any other entity (istitutional or not) wants to help in promotion and
development, it is granted may do it without regards about a single
organization internal decision but only accordly the whole community

--
Roberto -MadBob- Guido
http://claimid.com/madbob