[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:35:18 PDT 2009

On 4 июня 2009 19:18:22 Leo Sauermann wrote:
> ok, now as we have agreed to merge and work together as one big group of
> opensource/standardization folks,
>
> who is going to maintain/edit which ontology?
>
> using my feeling for ontology management and my open source experience,
> I think we could need answers to some questions:
>
> as with every good project, I would like to know the names of people who
> feel responsible to work for the quality. I would like to see an
> ontology maintainer/editor for each ontology.
> I would see this as role comparable to an open source project
> administrator/maintainer, the one guy who reads the commits and kicks
> butts when unit tests fail, etc.
> Of course, it would be better to see two or three maintainers per
> ontology, but lets start with one, or?
>
> to distribute work, it would be clever to have at least one maintainer
> per ontology.
> who of the previous posters feels responsible for which ontology?
>
> This is exactly as we have been doing it for the last three years, no
> surprises here so far.
>
> up to today, this is the page with the maintainers names:
> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance
>
> where do you think we should move this page to?
> I thought both here:
> http://www.oscaf.org/ontologies
> and there:
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/oscaf/
>
> I volunteer to continue maintaining PIMO,
> but as so many people are interested in NIE/NMO, NCO, NFO, NID3,
> I would like to see someone from the Xesam guys to join here with Antoni.
> so I step back maintaininng the NIE stack.
>
> afaik, phreedom could take my place there, that would be good.

I'd gladly oversee the NIE stack.

Having people with reasonable understanding of semantic tech and NIE and in-
depth knowledge of a particular topic join to maintain this specific part is a
good idea too. Indeed no surprises here :)

> but since now move to xesam/freedesktop, I don't know where this should be.
> I feel more home in TRAC, but am happy to learn something new.
> Please give me an account and point me to the "welcome to freedesktop"
> page explaining how things work, I only know the eclipse.org and sf.net
> policies.
>
> Also I would like to get an account on the project management system we
> are going to use and instructions how to file my tickets, I have a
> backlog of one ticket for pimo:
> https://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&st
>atus=reopened&group=component&component=ontology-pimo&order=priority
>
> in the case freedesktop doesn't have anything like this, I would propose
> to fall back to http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/oscaf/, as we
> (phreedom, strueg, me) thought we will do back in february, but I would
> guess it just takes time to learn how it works on freedesktop.

freedesktop is a problem. We've got a bugzilla product at FDO, but we don't
really have any control over it. It appears we can't import or export
anything.

Also FDO is very well known for taking a lot of time to process even trivial
requests(such as adding a project). You can forget about infrastructure
requests.

So if we use FDO, we're stuck with a small set of software some of which is
out of sync with reality(CVS) and to which we don't have a full access(such as
for import/export).

On the other hand we have semanticdesktop.org, sf.net and xesam.org

FDO is nice as an idea, but the implementation is far from it.