[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Urho Konttori urho.konttori at nokia.com
Tue Jun 9 01:17:36 PDT 2009

ext Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
> On 9 июня 2009 04:52:06 Antoni Mylka wrote:
>
>> Hello Xesamies (Xesams, Xesamians, is there an accepted form? ),
>>

> Xesamies sounds good :)
>

>> I volunteer for:
>>  - moving the current ontology source files to whatever repository is
>>    chosen, both the trunk and the 8 'revisions' already 'released'
>>  - dropping the legacy constraint that the ontologies must be editable
>>    in Protege, which didn't work anyway, and make the protege->NRL
>>    conversion step unnecessary
>>  - moving the doc generator to whatever repository is chosen
>>  - setting up the "build" so that with a single call to 'ant' the
>>    documentation will be regenerated and all example files will be
>>    validated against the current version of the ontology
>>  - spearheading the effort to get some export of the trac history from
>>    the nepomuk trac and importing it to whatever issue tracker is chosen
>>    (I personally favour trac, dunno how difficult it would be to
>>    import trac issues to bugzilla - all kinds of comments welcome).
>>  - maintaining the 'build' code infrastructure
>>  - helping all other ontology maintainers as far as I can
>>  - maintaining all the ontology parts for which no separate maintainer
>>    steps up. I've been reading through the thread and it seems there
>>    were two people willing to take on the maintenance duties.
>>    NRL -
>>    NAO -
>>    NIE -
>>    NFO - Ivan Frade
>>    NMO - Roberto Guido
>>    NCO -
>>    NCAL -
>>    NEXIF -
>>    NID3 -
>>
>> Dunno if the original authors of NRL (as stated at [7]) will want to get
>> involved with it now. It seems that the number of volunteers is far from
>> astonishing ATM :)
>>

> I can afford to be a backup maintainer for all this. As long as people are
> willing to write code, I'll find the time to tell them what to do^H^H^H^H^H
> maintain ontologies :)
>
> This can work for awhile. More visibility and synergetic effects will fix this
> over time.

I can be maintainer of NMM once we agree to include that in the official
ontologies (and drop the NID3 and possibly even NEXIF while doing so).
Also, by replacing the nid3, and nexif, we have 1 less ontology to get a
maintainer for ;).

Pros:
I designed that together with Evgeny Egorochkin and Mikael Ottela.
NMM is still not completely sanity tested and may still need quite a few
changes, so I would be a good person to do that.

Cons:
Quite busy until next autumn.

Kind regards,
Urho