[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:59:28 PDT 2009

2009/6/8 Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann at dfki.de>:
> about freedesktop.org and bugzilla/trac....
>
> It was Evgeny Egorochkin who said at the right time 05.06.2009 18:35 the
> following words:
>

> freedesktop is a problem. We've got a bugzilla product at FDO, but we don't
>
> really have any control over it. It appears we can't import or export
> anything.
>
> Also FDO is very well known for taking a lot of time to process even trivial
> requests(such as adding a project). You can forget about infrastructure
> requests.
>
> So if we use FDO, we're stuck with a small set of software some of which is
> out of sync with reality(CVS) and to which we don't have a full access(such
> as
> for import/export).
>
> On the other hand we have semanticdesktop.org, sf.net and xesam.org
>

> we established oscaf.sf.net in februaray to let anyone willing to work on
> ontologies join there.
>
> I find bugzilla too complex for the task at hand and I like the tight
> integration of SVN + WIKI + Tickets in TRAC.
>
> so:
> freedesktop.org :
>  * endlessly complex loopholes to get an account (sending a gpg key to a gpg
> server, creating an ssh key, creating a user account for bugtracker to
> create a bug to .... ???)
> * bugzilla
> * git
>
> sf.net:
> * everyone has an account, if not it takes 1 minute to make one, only
> complexity is remembering your name and password
> * trac
> * svn
>
> personally, I am much more in favor of sf.net because its the platform i
> also used for aperture and other projects I am member of. I also like TRAC
> and SVN as we use it a lot.
> Also we basically know how ontology management with SVN+TRAC works based on
> the experience in dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org
>
> But I thought since all the others are freedesktop.org and git fans, we must
> use that. If the question is up to discussion, I much more favor
> sourceforge+trac+svn.
> we can reuse the oscaf.sf.net project there or make a new one if you don't
> like the name, then suggest a better one and sign us up.
> Setting this up is piss-easy, as you all probably know from past sf.net
> experience. performance may suck from time to time, but so be it, they do a
> good job otherwise.
>
> I would not "vote" about this, I would rather like to have an agreement
> where everyone understands the problems and personal background and
> preferences of all parties involved, and then come to a conclusion that fits
> our small group best.

As I was the one to take the "fight" with us getting Xesam up on
feedesktop.org back in the days, I should probably say something about
this...

I don't think we should use the FDO infrastructure because of three
things: 1) High barrier to entry for non-experts, 2) Extremely slow
response time from sysadmins, 3) Very little flexibility.

So we need a system that is the opposite of these three points. I
think a combination of SF + an external we-own-it shell+web server is
what we need.

So what I propose:

SF:
  svn
  trac

Own server (under xesam.org or oscaf.org, I am indifferent where we mount it):
  Moin wiki
  SSH shell server
  Web server with public compiled ontologies (and possibly other stuff)

Then there is the mailing list... I really don't care much here.

Mikkel