[Xesam] dumping NID3/NEXIF for NMM

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Wed Jun 17 07:35:14 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

Very short answer from me:
* Urho agreed that we can maintain nexif+nid3, so we do that
* You are discussing about NMM, so NMM is taken up on the "oscaf list of
ontologies we care for".
* As the discussion spread over several e-mails and various websites is
fruitless and uncomprehensible to anyone reading it in a year, I
recommend to track all arguments in tickets on sourceforge

I created a component and wiki page for NMM, please fill it:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/NMM

if you are unsure what to write, I just moved PIMO from nepomuk to oscaf:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/PIMO

please give me your account names on sf.net so that I can add you there.

best
Leo

It was Urho Konttori who said at the right time 17.06.2009 08:50 the
following words:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not repeating to what Evgeny has commented to

>>> Which is not always the right choice. This is also obvious in the
>>> calendar ontology. You guys took the specs of ical too literally. Ivan
>>> is working on a proposal that drops all of the union classes and
>>> replaces them with a single superclass, which makes the ncal a nice and
>>> clean structure. I mean, ncal is for the most part really nice, but the
>>> drive to copy the ical exactly lead to those horrible union classes.
>>>

>> My 2c. The road towards the present ncal had two stages
>>
>> 1. Dan Connolly and the people from the www-rdf-calendar community at
>> w3c devised a python+xslt script that generates the icaltzd ontology
>> from the plain text file of the RFC itself. You can't get any nearer to
>> the original standard definition.
>>

> Indeed, but at the same time, not everything must be done pixel perfect.
> You just need to be able to express as much as ical.
>
>> 2. We took the Connolly's ontology and translated it to NRL. First with
>> an java program, then tweaked the result manually, all of this is
>> documented in [1]. The union classes appeared as a NRL equivalent of the
>> owl:unionOf construct present in the original OWL ontology.
>>

> Well, the automated step is not needed in my opinion anyway. The ical is
> quite limited standard anyway, so it could have been converted manually
> just as well. In any way, I do applaud your way of doing it automated.
>

>> If you have an idea for a third stage that will make it better, easier,
>> and still manage to express most of the information from ICAL files
>> without loss, I personally couldn't agree more.
>>

> Ivan will make the proposal after we have been running it through with
> our calendar team a few times so that we know it's right one. As, if
> nothing else, we have learned that the domain experts must validate each
> and every ontology.
>

>> The most important goal of the union classes was validation, if a
>> property can appear on an Event, but can't on a Journal entry, spotting
>> it on a journal entry means we have a bug in the ICAL->NCAL converter.
>> The conversion process itself is quite error-prone. Every level of
>> validation was welcome.
>>

> Well, with superclass, you can still do the validation in post
> processing just as well.
>
>> The union classes weren't considered a problem because the converter
>> didn't have to generate them, and they never come up in the data seen by
>> the user (that is the application used by the user). Nobody needs to
>> write code that 'understands' them. Could you elaborate more on the
>> problems you have with those union classes apart from them being 'ugly'?
>>

> What do you mean, nobody needs to write code that 'understands them'?
> People had serious issues in understanding the reason for their
> existence overall. Developers need to understand the ontology. This is
> why the ontology needs to be created in a manner that is logical for a
> [...]

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313