[Xesam] Desktop ontology svn layout

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Fri Jun 26 09:08:52 PDT 2009

Hi Sebastian,

I agree to clean up, the folder structure is good.

If possible, it would be good if you could look into the currenty ANT
scripts that do the whole business of generating the HTML files and
converting the ontologies.
The current layout is not because we like chaos, but because our current
set of ANT scripts works with that setup and it was too hard to change
the script (it was easier to just put all ontologies into the same
folder and then tweak the ant script)

In general, I do not like the smell of release/draft folders, but I
think its ok.
I think each ontology should be in its own folder and some readme.txt
should show the status, but its also fine the way with superfolders. but
we should not try to classify them further using folder strucutres, this
will end up in sucking, rather use the wiki to guide people around.

The W3C way is something like
...2009/06/ndo-draft  .... then
...2006/08/ndo-draft  ... then
...tr/ndo

we should use SVN tags to mark releases and otherwise keep the files
always in the same folder, its much more convenient, but also here I am
open for ideas.

about TRIG: (I would like N3, see below)
this is fine, we stopped using protégé for ontology development some
time ago, because as we are doing a standardization process, the SVN
logs are very very very important to verify what chnages have been done,
and a visual ontology editor sometimes reformats the whole file, which
makes it impossible to verify what has been changed by whom and why, so
I am in favor for TRIG and text files.
Could someone write this down on our OntologyMaintenance page?

there is only one problem - there is a lack of online tools [1] for
checking/validating/converting trig, this sucks. For the sake of keeping
a sane mind, and being quick while hacking,
I would propose to use N3 instead because there is more tool support for it.

[1]
http://rdfabout.com/demo/validator/index.xpd
http://www.mindswap.org/2002/rdfconvert/
-> these tools, which I daily use when cheking ontologies, do not
support trig.
Trig=bad
n3=good

best
Leo

It was Ivan Frade who said at the right time 26.06.2009 14:56 the
following words:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Sebastian Trüg <strueg at mandriva.com
> <mailto:strueg at mandriva.com>> wrote:
>

>     I'd say we make it very simple: top level dirs "ontologies" and
>     "tools" in the
>     trunk. And then:
>
>     trunk
>      ontologies
>         release
>            pimo
>            nie
>            nfo
>            nco
>            nmo
>            ncal
>            nexif
>            nid3
>         draft
>            ndo
>            nmm
>      tools
>         <whatever>
>

> I like it.
>
> Just to clarify "release" means that are "public" ontologies. Every
> now and then we will create tags in the svn to have a "released" pack
> of ontologies, right?
>
>     In the single ontology dirs I would put the trig sources directly.
>     I propose
>     we work on those since trig is way easier to read and hack than
>     rdf+xml and it
>     is the distribution format anyway.
>

> I think it is a good idea.
>
>     Then the folders could have "documentation" subdirs which in the
>     case of pimo
>     should include the sources for the pimo.pdf written by leo (if he
>     agrees).
>     Each ontology folder will also have a ChangeLog file in which we
>     should note
>     each change to the onto.
>

> The HTML documentation with the classes and properties, and links
> between them... is generated directly from the ontology files? so,
> that documentation folder is just for "extra" stuff?
>
>     Do we need anything else?
>

> I dont see anything evident missing.
>
>     Once an ontology is decided and should be released it is moved
>     from the draft
>     to the release folder.
>
>     A tool could gather all release ontologies and package them for a
>     release.
>
>     If you agree I will take care of this.
>

> Sounds great! Thanks!
>
> Ivan

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313