[Xesam] xesam website

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:21:15 PDT 2009

2009/4/30 Roberto Guido <bob4mail at gmail.com>:
> On Thursday 30 April 2009 20:15:47 you wrote:
>> Xesam is about creating a standard and that's pretty much it.
>>
> No shine (and above all accessible redundant information for everyone) -> no
> attention by users -> no attention by developers -> no implementation of
> Xesam -> no standard in place.
> You can have the best specification in the world, it is useless if no one
> adopt it. Someone in the list probably has more experience than me about
> this :-)

Well, I am not sure you are right about this one. At least I am in the
completely opposite camp. I just want bare-bones text with minimal
fluff. To disprove your claim I think DBus is an excellent example.
Reading the DBus spec doesn't bring you to any thing near a shiny web
page, anyway DBus is a flourishing success.

Also consider all the other specs hosted on FDO. Xesam.org is almost
über bling compared to those, yet many of the FDO standards are widely
used.

>> Can you point to any specific points where this is a problem on
>> xesam.org... I am not quite sure I understand what you mean.
>>
> First time I was on website I gain very bad opinion of Xesam, because I
> couldn't find informations I required. Them were available (at least, the
> xesam-glib binding), but... I didn't found them at first try. Sure, at second
> I did, but I was motivated: I can figure most of occasional users open the
> page, give a look, and back to read news on Slashdot without understand what
> Xesam is.

Ok, if you have these experiences that is a problem, but let's not
throw the baby out with the bath water. Most of it should be fixable
by brushing up the existing wiki.

>> I would also like to keep everything as close to the FDO
>> infrastrukture as possible so that it will be easy to migrate back
>> should that ever become relevant.
>>
> If it is so, probably this may be the major blocking motivation. But
> dependency from a over-bureaucratic authority, as you say, unable to provide
> some web space cannot be a reason to slow engage about Xesam or any other
> wannabe standard.

As xesam.org proves I agree :-)

Mikkel