[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Arun Raghavan arun at accosted.net
Tue May 5 02:41:20 PDT 2009

2009/5/5 Sebastian Trüg <strueg at mandriva.com>:
[...]
>> I like the iteration model from http://xesam.org/main/ProjectStructure ,
>> perhaps slow but able to grant satisfation by (almost) everyone: can be
>> adopted to this "Desktop Ontologies" also?
>>
>> A project aiming at a community-driven specification is not just a page on
>> SF, some more detail has to be defined...
>
> exactly. That is why I wanted to start with a new project, something without
> history. I don't think using xesam.org is a good idea. For two reasons:
> 1. the name - xesam is the search API, and the ontologies should be maintained
>   under a neutral name

Xesam is not the name of the API alone. It is the name of the entire
standardisation effort. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken here,
but I believe that is also the general perception. I don't quite
understand what you mean by a "neutral name".

Just for the record, either of the Xesam/Nepomuk umbrellas is fine by
me for the ontology project.

> 2. missing infrastructure - a wiki is IMHO one of the worst ways to discuss
>   something. Thus, we need a bug tracker and dedicated mailing list and all
>   that jazz

While I think that we have sufficient (open) infrastructure to take
this forward on Xesam (fd.o bugzilla, wiki, mailing list, though
apparently we could use faster code hosting), the location of the
hosting is a non-issue from my side (=> I'll go with the majority on
this).

As long as we have some resources, and anyone with interest can make a
contribution (we've had both of these for long enough now), the
bottlenecks have always been manpower and agreement.

Regards,
--
Arun Raghavan
(http://arunraghavan.net/)