[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Ivan Frade ivan.frade at gmail.com
Tue May 5 03:32:36 PDT 2009

Hi all,

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann at dfki.de>wrote:

>  Hi Guys,
>
> I think the nepomuk/OSCAF sourceforge project that Sebastian Trüg and I
> have created
> for OSCAF a few months ago may help here.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscaf
>
> we have a code repository where everyone can write who is willing to work
> on it,
> and a ticket system,
> and the authority to officially continue the nepomuk ontologies there,
> backed by the OSCAF foundation.
>

> the nepomuk ontologies will move there anytime we find enough volunteers to
>
> work on it, or commercial developers to join OSCAF to work on it.

We are proposing a completely open source project, no need to be "backed by"
any foundation (whatever that means). If the project can work in the open
source way, what is the point of OSCAF?

> Still, that doesn't solve the problem of "who is going to do a good job
> here",
> as the problem is not "we have to create a new project",
> we already had that on sourceforge since 20th February 2009,
> the problem is:

 Community :)

> <old wiseguy>
> who is going to work on the 23 tickets that we already know of, which were
> reported
> by Evgeny and I don't have the time to fix them?
>
> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance
>

> Well, the tickets are there because, after some years of work, these are
> the hardest
> ontology nuts to crack.... and some of them are also from NOKIA guys who
> use
> the ontology for maemo.

 And i am pretty sure they are going to be very happy with a more dynamic
and open source style in the managing of the ontologies :)

> so, old wiseguy agrees that we must join forces and come to one ontology,

 Agree, but using OPEN SOURCE _in the whole process_.

 Regards,

Ivan