[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:52:38 PDT 2009

On 7 мая 2009 13:41:18 Roberto Guido wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Sebastian Faubel
>
> <sebastian.faubel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 11:41 +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >> The OSCAF
> >> foundation has been set up by NEPOMUK participants (KDE is among them)
> >> and its goals align with those of KDE.
>
> Oh, I missed this detail...
> In previous mails (by Trueg, probably...) "neutrality" was one
> argument. And OSCAF is not "neutral" at all, in a standardization
> scenario. Or I misunderstood "neutrality"?

OSCAF was supposed to be a place to do maintenance of nepomuk. So it's pretty
neutral for any of participants and participant list is not closed as such. Or
you whould clarify what kind of neutrality you expect?

> What is goal of this thread: are we discussing maintainance of the
> Nepomuk project in its own (so: why the cross-post on Xesam?)

Xesam is expected to provide a lot of input to nepomuk and is also interested
in being heard...

> or opening Nepomuk to standardization (so: why depend on OSCAF?) ?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean here. Standardization at what level/
for what purpose/by whom etc?

There's no specific reason for OSCAF existence other than there are a
significant number of companies/organizations which decided to participate in
nepomuk effort and they do it though OSCAF.

If Xesam doesn't want to become a fork of Nepomuk, we have to have some
dialogue with OSCAF. If OSCAF doesn't want Xesam to be come a fork of Nepomuk,
they have to somehow listen to Xesam. It's pretty simple -- dialogue is the
key.

Why should we avoid forking Nepomuk?

Basically the semantic desktop effort is still in infancy. We barely have the
resources to make it and turning away interested parties for no good reason is
counter-productive.

Also if our effort ever tries to reach further(like ODF) the split would put
us at a disadvantage.

--Evgeny