[Xesam] [Oscaf] First shared-desktop-ontologies tarball test

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Tue Nov 24 00:23:53 PST 2009

License:
Ontology files are both prosa (=text) and software.
Years ago we thought it would therefore be wise to double-license
ontologies as CC-BY and BSD.
this is also the license that was since many months here:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/License
why didn't you copy it from there? - any reasons to ignore the wiki page
or weren't you aware of it?

anyway, I am also fine bith BSD, if everyone else agrees that "in the
future, double-licensing is ok".
but then, change the wiki page.

Folders:
the "base" folder may bite us back later.
i.e. it contains a mix of ontologies we consider "base" such as dcterms
and rdf and rdfs.
someone may ask: why is OWL not there? why is skos not there?
(etc.)
so we
* _may_ change it to subfolders "rdfs" "rdf", "dcterms", etc.... - would
be more "correct".
* leave as is and go on - I prefer that. if other people ship other
ontologies as installation packages, they can come up with other
top-folder names besides shared-desktop-ontologies

name:
for the sake of saying it: I of course hold the flag up and say "we
should call them shared-oscaf-ontologies" but I am of course as happy
with the current name.

best
Leo

It was Sebastian Trueg who said at the right time 23.11.2009 11:10 the
following words:
> Hi guys,
>
> please find attached a tarball with a simple cmake-based build system
> which installs all ontologies into <PREFIX>/share/ontology using a few
> subfolders for a cleaner layout.
> As KDE 4.4 is frozen on Wednesday I need at least a preview release to
> make kde depend on. Thus, the installation dir should be fixed already.
> Everything else we can change at one point or the other.
>
> So please have a look and comment on:
> - the installation target dir and the subfolders
> - the name of the package
>
> I will ignore comments about:
> - the build system (as I said: we can change that and by "we" I mean
> whoever complains)
> - the missing documentation (can be added later)
>
> We also need to decide on the license. I proposed something modeled on
> BSD on irc:
>
> #
> # Copyright <year>  <name of author> <e-mail>
> #
> # Redistribution and use in any serialization form, with or without
> # modification, are permitted provided that the following condition
> # is met:
> #
> # Redistributions of the ontology in any form must retain the above
> # copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> #
> # THIS ONTOLOGY IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
> # IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
> # OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
> # IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
> # INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
> # NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
> # DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
> # THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> # (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
> # THIS ONTOLOGY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> #
>
> If you have other ideas please say so and post the header to be included
> in the files. I will not write it for you! This also means that comments
> like "I vote for a XXX-compatible license" or "let's use license A" will
> be ignored if they are not accompanied by a piece of text like the above
> that I can directly copy into the files.
>
> Thanks for participating.
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313