[xliff-tools] PO references

Tim Foster Tim.Foster at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 2 06:25:25 PST 2005

Hey Folks (Hi David!)

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 09:49, David Fraser wrote:
> However, when using the PO format to encode certain other translation
> formats we use a # to indicate a non-linenumber based location within
> the code (we were recommended to do this on the gettext list).

Yeah, that makes sense.

> Its tricky to work out where this #location should go in the xliff file.
> Of course part of this is because the PO file format specification
> provided by gettext is not really a standard reference work :-)

Aah, standard reference works :-) The problem with gettext, is that it
isn't a standard, so people have been "making it up as they go along"
(with apologies to Monty Python) - gettext was a proposal from
POSIX.1b and UniForum as far as I can make out, and there was arguments
as to whether to then ratify the XPG4 catgets() or gettext() as the
offical way to internationalise UNIX apps. I think it all ended in tears
ultimately, and nothing was agreed.

http://www.wlug.org.nz/POSIX

> Any ideas?

Well, certainly it belongs in a context group item somewhere, but the
xliff spec doesn't seem specify where. Perhaps using an context-type
of "x-mumble" would be needed ? (Note to self : when migrating our
bits to xliff 1.1, convert any non-standard context-types to say
"x-something" instead of just "something")

For what it's worth, our translation editor can display these
context information pieces correctly, though we've some work
to do to convert to XLIFF 1.1. As to exactly how to deal with them,
I'm not sure the standard specifies that.

	cheers,
			tim
--
Tim Foster - Tools Engineer, Software Globalisation
http://sunweb.ireland/~timf http://blogs.sun.com/timf