[xliff-tools] XLIFF <-> PO filter source code contribution

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Sun Feb 6 08:07:17 PST 2005

Hi Rodolfo,

On Sunday 06 February 2005 04:46, Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Heartsome Holdings, http://www.heartsome.net , would like to donate its
> current PO <-> XLIFF filters to this project. The code is written in
> Java and allows conversion of PO files to XLIFF and back.
>
> I would also like to contribute my own code that converts Java
> Properties files to XLIFF and back. The source code of this filter is
> available at IBM developerWorks, acompanying an article about XLIFF that
> I wrote in last October (see
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-localis2/ ).

On behalf of the project, thank you and Heartsome!

I'm not sure how we practically handle this. We now have 3 implementations of
PO-XLIFF filters currently going on:
 - Java (heartsome)
 - Python,  David Fraser (http://translate.sourceforge.net)
 - c (xliff-po-tools)

In addition, there are two java based filters that might be released 'soon' as
open source:
 - Sun's editor and filters (Tim Foster)
 - XLIFF <-> PO filters & localisation tool project at LRC (Kevin Bargary)

I'm open for e.g. adding this as another sub-project (e.g. heartsome-filters)
and putting the code in cvs (and I can arrange cvs access to whoever works on
this sub-project).  Then, As we develop a standardized PO Representation
Guide, this filter can evolve and the Heartsome editor (and other projects)
can take advantage of that.

But this all depends on someone taking responsibility for the evolvement of
these filters (E.g. active participation after the donation from heartsome,
or some other contributor wanting to work on these). For the PO filter that
means altering them to support the upcoming PO Representation Guide, and
similar for the .properties filter.

What licence are you thinking of releasing these under?

I don't see it as a viable option to ditch the c-based filters in favour of a
Java implementation, as some of our goals with these include integration with
GNU build systems, and we don't want to be dependent on Java for this.

> This is just an initial offer. We may donate more code in the future,
> depending on your acceptance and the evolution of the XLIFF-Tools
> project.

The XLIFF Tools project is still at a very early stage, and at the moment it's
only me working on the code. I really appreciate code donations, but I can't
promise any contributions to these filters personally, other than helping
facilitating a sub-project.

cheers,
asgeir