Language Codes (was Re: [xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Sun Feb 20 15:47:16 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:19, Rodolfo M. Raya wrote:
> Here are a few comments about the PO Representation Guide:
>
> References

>         Definitions of the standards used in language related attributes
>         are essential. XLIFF specs says that language codes are not case
>         sensitive and also recommends following RFC3066; this RFC
>         recommends the ISO 639 codes, which are case sensitive (lower
>         case). Right now almost all Open Source projects working with PO
>         files use ISO 639-1 codes. The adopted language standard must be
>         clearly stated, to avoid potential conflicts with  tools that
>         use custom codes.

The XLIFF 1.1 specs does not only recommend RFC3066, but specifies it. But as
you say, we should clearly state this in the guide.

How do we deal with language-codes in the filters? When converting a
translated PO file to XLIFF, there is no way of knowing which target-language
is used in the PO file. The XLIFF spec doesn't explicitly state that a
target-language must be present when <target> elements exists, but it would
make sense to always have this attribute when there exists <target> elements.

I would suggest adding to the guide a section describing different options for
specifying target-language (e.g. by adding a 'target-lang' attribute to the
filter)

cheers,
asgeir