Language Codes (was Re: [xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header)

Rodolfo M. Raya rodolfo at heartsome.net
Sun Feb 20 17:25:33 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 09:47 +1000, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:

> How do we deal with language-codes in the filters? When converting a
> translated PO file to XLIFF, there is no way of knowing which target-language
> is used in the PO file. The XLIFF spec doesn't explicitly state that a
> target-language must be present when <target> elements exists, but it would
> make sense to always have this attribute when there exists <target> elements.
>
> I would suggest adding to the guide a section describing different options for
> specifying target-language (e.g. by adding a 'target-lang' attribute to the
> filter)

The filter that converts PO to XLIFF does not know what the target
language can be. And it doesn't really matter very much.

The filter that converts XLIFF to PO needs to know the name of the
output file, not the target language, and that name should be passed as
parameter to the filter.

Target language name is important only when the content of the XLIFF
file is exported to a TM database. In that case, the translation tool
exporting data may/should store the language name in the "target-lang"
attribute of the <file> element and in the xml:lang attribute of each
<target> element.

Regards,
Rodolfo
--