[xliff-tools] Translator Comments

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Thu Feb 24 18:11:06 PST 2005

Hi Tim,

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:40, Tim Foster wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 01:37, Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
> > > For what it's worth, we're taking the comments
> > > from .po files and storing them as bits of <context> information,
> > > attached to each trans-unit.
> >
> > Ok, what you're doing in your filter is:
> >

> > # This is a comment about this file
> > msgid "this is text"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Yep :
>
> <trans-unit id="a1">
>        <source>this is text</source>
>        <count-group name="word count">
>           <count count-type="word count" unit="word">3</count>
>        </count-group>
>       <context-group name="message id">
>           <context context-type="record">this is text</context>
>       </context-group>
>      <context-group name="context info">
>           <context context-type="record">
> # This is a comment about this file
> </context>
>       </context-group>
>     </trans-unit>
>
> > What are the benefits of using this approach? Why is a general '# ' style
> > comment context-information in your implementation?
>
> Well, drawing the line between what's a note and what's context is subtle :
> we usually use <note> elements for actual translator comments, rather than
> stuff that came from the source file.

Good point. In general I agree that <note> elements shouldn't come from the
source-file. But as I've said before, since PO is just-another-localisation
format with support for simple 'notes', it might be easier for translators
this way...

> We don't know that the comments in
> the source file are directed at the translator, so all we can do is store
> them in file, and let translators look at them if they want to (in our
> case, using the Edit->View Source Context radio button : pops up a floating
> window that shows context for the highlighted segment, and updates the
> context should you switch to another context)
>
> On the other hand, <note> elements get more visibility in the editor - as
> they're (perhaps) written for translators specifically : either by
> translators who've done a 1st draft of the translation, or from file
> formats that support then (can't think of any off hand, but that was our
> thoughts on it)

Well, maybe you'll have a file format that supports <note> elements soon
then :)

> > For what it's worth, I think PO comments and auto-comments are important
> > for translators to be able to view. Many XLIFF editors hide most
> > context-information from developers, but most editors have support for
> > display of <note> elements.
>
> Right - we show both, just at different levels : context information
> we tend to show in a separate floating-window if the translator asks
> for it, notes get an icon beside each trans-unit, so that the translator
> always sees when a note is present.
>
> (eg. "Fred, can you look over this translation, I'm not sure it's correct")
>
> I don't think it's a big deal whether you go for <note> or <context> when
> displaying comments ultimately, just that it's nice to have the distinction
> (somehow) between stuff that came directly from the source file, and stuff
> that was written by a reviewer or previous translator.

Yes, I see your point. Maybe there should have been some conventions in the
XLIFF specs limiting elements that could be generated from source-files?

cheers,
asgeir