[xliff-tools] Eviltrans - Open source transilation suite

Fredrik Corneliusson fredrik.corneliusson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:19:42 PST 2005

Hi Asgeir,
Thanks for the response.

> This is good news! Tried out your editor on my Linux box, and it's a good
> start. A bit mix of Swedish and English here and there, but heck, I
> understand Swedish!

Thanks for the info.
It seems as GTK Glade played a trick on me and localized the stuff without
me knowing/understanding that it was not gettext doing it's runtime magic,
sorry for the inconvenience.

> Didn't get your TM running though, but will give it a new shot over the
> weekend. (Had some problems with paths etc)

There's an ugly import of xmlutils using relative path in there that
could be the issue. be sure to cd to the tmServers dir before
launching it. The TM is probably going to be a separate entity in the
future. At this time the TM is very basic and cant save or import TMX
yet but Fredrik Estreen is working on it.

>We're working on filters :)
Great!

> If you're after python-based filters that can integrate nicely with your
> editor, you might be interested in the GPL'ed PO filters from
> http://translate.sourceforge.net/
> (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/translate/src/translate/convert/) They
> have parsers and PO converters for lots of file formats, and these shouldn't
> be to hard to modify to become XLIFF converters.

I've actually announced it on the translate maillist first but thanks anyway.

> Let me know if you guys are interested in somewhat linking this project in
> with the xliff-tools project. This project's goal is to overall implement
> XLIFF support in open source localisation. I'll anyway add a link to this
> project in the 'Resources' section in our wiki.

It would definitely be intresting to cooperate.

We have been considering a name change from the start but we did not
want to be held up any longer for our lack of imagination (all the
obvious ones are taken). We thought about Transolution, Locomotion
etc. Please feel free to give your suggestions.

Thanks,
Fredrik