[xliff-tools] xml to xliff

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 15:56:16 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:01, Fredrik Corneliusson wrote:
> Hi,
> Any plans to do a XML to XLIFF filter? This is would be very useful
> for documentation localization.

I personally don't have any concrete plans of implementing a XML filter within
the next 2 months. At the moment I'm working on a way of 'xliffizing' (as
opposed to gettextize) autoconf based build systems, so that the persistent
stored localisation format is XLIFF not PO (but using PO as an intermediate
format).

Hopefully SUN will release their filters soon :)

In developing filters for Docbook XML and SGML, what's interesting to see is
if we can at the same time find a way of leveraging all the existing
translations out there stored in PO Compendiums.

Also, in developing filters for XML based formats, it might be a good design
decition to develop generic XML filters, with configuration files for each
target file format specifying which elelments and attributes goes for
localisation (I think this is the way e.g. Heartsome and Sun does it)..

cheers,
asgeir