[xliff-tools] Eviltrans - Open source transilation suite

Fredrik Corneliusson fredrik.corneliusson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:09:12 PST 2005

Hi Asgeir,

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:32:12 +1000, Asgeir Frimannsson
<asgeirf at redhat.com> wrote:

> Yep, xmlUtils was the problem (fixed it the easy way by copying over the
> xmlUtils folder to tmServers). Works fine now, but I can't see the TM window
> in the editor. From the debug window, it looks like entries are added fine to
> the TM, but I never get suggestions in the editor (as in the screenshot),
> even for equal strings.

Hmm, have you tried "Copy From TM" (ctrl+alt+insert)?

> One thing I really like about 'transolution' is the fact that you separate the
> TM from the actual editor using xmlRPC.
This is one of the key features of Transolution as I hate big black
box transilation apps. Keeping things separeate makes it flexible and
more versatile.

> Looking forward to see how this
> evolves. Some of my wishlist items are:
>  - Published xmlRPC specifications
>  - methods to import TMX documents (then we can test this out by exporting our
> PO compendiums to TMX and testing on real-world data)
>  - method to pre-translate XLIFF files.

I think Fredrik Estreen is working on TMX import/export over XML RPC
at the moment.
The xmlRPC specifications is *very* basic right now, we need to really
think this out and we would be glad for any input you have.

> You mention about sentence based segmentation, but how does your editor/TM
> support this? If I convert a document to XLIFF using paragraph segmentation,
> it will still be paragraph segmented in the TM when editing in your editor?

Actually I've just added support for this this weekend :-). I now have
a script(segmentate_xliff.py) that segments and inject TU tags using a
different namespace(transolution:tu) into the XLIFF tu's.
The Xliff Editor can then treat these TU's just as it would with tags.
(To open a tag for editing just recurse using Open TU when standing in
front of the tag).
After it's translated it's easy to strip transolution:tu the tags to
reproduce the original segmentation.

The segmenting script still has a few 'segmentation' bugs but you get the idea.

> > > Let me know if you guys are interested in somewhat linking this project
> > > in with the xliff-tools project. This project's goal is to overall
> > > implement XLIFF support in open source localisation. I'll anyway add a
> > > link to this project in the 'Resources' section in our wiki.
> >
> > It would definitely be intresting to cooperate.
> >
> > We have been considering a name change from the start but we did not
> > want to be held up any longer for our lack of imagination (all the
> > obvious ones are taken). We thought about Transolution, Locomotion
> > etc. Please feel free to give your suggestions.
>
> You're definetely more creative than me when it comes to names, so won't try
> any suggestions :) But you've decided on Transolution, - works fine with
> me :)

Thanks!

PS. The Editor has undergone quite some development since the version
on Sourceforge. I'll send you a updated version to your personal email
to play with.