[xliff-tools] The PO flag discussion (no-c-format this time)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Sat May 7 06:55:21 PDT 2005

Hi Bruno,

Continuing our discussion on flags, is it correct that 'no-c-format' (or other
no-X-format) type flags can only be added by developers when overriding
c-format flags? As in, the Gettext tools does never automatically add this
flag according to some set rules, it has to be manually set by a comment
like:

     /* xgettext: no-c-format */

If so, am I right in saying that this flag has no specific function in Gettext
(other than for the purpose of overriding a c-format flag), and it would be
the same as not having the flag at all in the PO file?

As in:

#, no-c-format
msgid "I'm 100% correct"
msgstr ""

and

# no flag here
msgid "I'm 100% correct"
msgstr ""

are identical, and Gettext never cares about the no-c-format flag after the PO
file is written?

cheers,
asgeir