[xliff-tools] XLIFF files for testing tools

Rodolfo M. Raya rodolfo at heartsome.net
Fri Sep 2 22:08:57 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 12:37 +0100, Martin Wunderlich wrote:

Hi Martin,

> I have created an XLIFF file to test tools and for some reason it
> fails to validate using the utility on
> http://dotnet.goglobalnow.net/Validation.aspx. The warning complains
> about the "origin" attribute in the <alt-trans> element, although this
> is clearly valid according to both the XLIFF 1.1 specs and the schema
> used ("<xsd:attribute name="origin" type="xsd:string"
> use="optional"/>"). My file also validates ok using
> http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xsdvalidator/.
> The alt-trans element looks like this:
>     <alt-trans>
>      <target xml:lang="de-DE" origin="Martin"
> phase-name="translation">Hier steht ein wenig übersetzter
> Text.</target>
>      <target xml:lang="de-AT" origin="TM">Hier steht a bisserl
> übersetzter Text.</target>
>      <target xml:lang="ru-RU" origin="MT" phase-name="edit">Здесь есть
> тоже самый текст по-русский.</target>
>     </alt-trans>
>
> Any ideas? I would presume I can go ahead, assuming that the XLIFF
> file is valid.

The schema has some minor variations from the specs. All principles are
respected in general, but some details like element order are not
specified in the specs but enforced in the schema.

We have modified Heartsome's XLIFF Editor to become fully XLIFF 1.1
enabled. The changes include validating XLIFF documents against all the
schemas that are needed to support XLIFF 1.1. Notice that the files must
be validated against xliff-core-1.1.xsd and several complementary
schemas that are imported at parsing time.

If you send me your file, I'll check it with the new XLIFF Editor and
tell you if there is anything wrong.

Regards,
Rodolfo