[xliff-tools] XLIFF detailed questions

Martin Wunderlich martin_wu at gmx.net
Sat Jan 14 09:43:31 PST 2006

Dear all,

May I trouble ye with a few very detailed questions regarding XLIFF
and its implementation? I had a very close look at the specs and there
are a few that are not entirely clear to me. Here we go:

Under header-glossary a "glossary description" as contents for this
element. Is this to be understood as a simple text node?

<prop> element: Does anyone have examples for "Tool-specific data or
text, no standard elements."? Again, is this to be interpreted as a
text node? (I know this element has been deprecated, but for backward
compatibility it should be taken into account, I guess)

There are several elements, e.g. <tool>, which may contain "Zero, one
or more non-XLIFF elements." What are these elements and how are they
to be handled?

Something rather curious for the <group> element. It says: "One or more <group>, <trans-unit>,
<bin-unit> elements, in any order." Does this mean every group element _must_ contain at least one more
group element and at least one bin-unit element?

<bin-target>: In the description it says: "The optional state  and state-qualifier attributes indicate
in which state the <bin-target> is."
The list of optional attributes is given as: "mime-type, ts, state, phase-name, restype, resname." No
mention of a state-qualifier here. Does bin-target have a state-qualifier attribute or not?

<bx /> has optional attributes 'ctype' and 'clone'. <ex /> doesn't. Does this mean that the values of
these two attributes by extension also apply to <ex />?

Phew, that's all for the moment. Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

All the best,

Martin Wunderlich, M.A.
Translation/Localisation EN <-> DE

Free and open source software
for translation/localisation:
Random quote:
"No hay normas. Todos los hombres son excepciones a una regla que no existe".
"There are no rules. All men are exceptions to a non-existing rule"
 - Fernando Pessoa