[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.8.99.904

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 1 06:40:50 PDT 2010

Not a huge number of changes this week; a couple of bug fixes, some
server log cleanups and some Xephyr changes.

Summary below, but first I've gone over the bugs in the 1.9 tracking
bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=27592&hide_resolved=1

I'd like to encourage anyone with an interest to work on these and I
think that from now until the release we shouldn't be merging any code
which isn't tied to a specific bug.

o    3040: Bad interaction between xinerama and xfs

Jesse just discovered that IgnoreClient/AttendClient was busted and
posted a fix to make this 'counting'. I'm wondering if it would be
easy to fix this bug now by making it either call AttendClient
multiple times, or (probably better) simply bail out when the first
screen suspends the client.

o    3370: Suggested change for ConfineTo

There is a patch attached to this bug which looks reasonable to me. If
someone wants to give it a try, it would be nice to have this included
in 1.9.

o    4652: Xv + Silkenmouse = Lethal race condition

This one wants to see AdjustFrame not be called from the SIGIO
handler. Is this still an issue?

o    7681: zero-sized a1 glyphs stop further text drawing

This one has a now-useless test case (as it requires the removal of a
work-around in cairo). But, I suspect it may well have been fixed in
the server at some point. A pure Render-based test should be fairly
easy to create, at which point we could verify if this bug is still
present.

o    11053: Buffer overflow in fbCopyArea()

I have no clue about this bug.

o    11503: Xserver 1.3 crash in fbPolyline() when using xpdf

Looks like the 'optimized' clipping code in fbbits.h is busted when
you've got a window > 32767 pixels tall. A stand-alone test case would
help a ton here; the bug report seems to have sufficient information
to construct one.

o    14267: Xserver ignores Option PreferredMode for the second output when there's a Preferred for the first output

Preferred modes aren't per-output, which means that you cannot set
different preferred modes on different outputs. I think this could be
fixed by eliminating the whole M_T_PREFERRED stuff and instead
recording the preferred mode name in the output and then comparing
that to the mode name in xf86DefaultMode.

o    14648: DamageSubtract is misdesigned, making DeltaRectangles mode unusable

This one appears to just be user confusion -- applications should
process all pending damage at once by constructing a server region with
all of the damage in it instead of trying to work on one piece at a
time.

o    23938: keys occasionally get stuck with xorg-server 1.6.99.901

There have been a few keyboard fixes in the core server of late; any
idea if this bug is fixed now?

o    23985: Excessive core motion events for subpixel motions

This one doesn't appear to have been fixed, on the other hand, it
doesn't look really bad -- clients just get too many events.

o    24094: CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't switch to VT1 (provides garbage input to terminal instead)

I think this one could use re-testing.

o    24856: xorg-server-1.7.1 mouse cursor not moving from MouseKeys

This seems to happen only when not using SilkenMouse and/or SIGIO
input. I have a vague memory of someone looking at this in the last
couple of months?

o    25801: Switching VT re-enables XBell(), ignoring 'xset b off'

Trivial to test, and I can't imagine it will be all that difficult to fix.

o    27367: XSyncCreateAlarm causes server to use 100% CPU

This one has a simple test case included.

o    27428: xrandr events delayed until a key is pressed

I'm betting the server isn't flushing events at some point here.

o    27804: Enter/Leave event woes with multiple master devices.

This one was posted by Peter, and surely looks to be solveable only by Peter.

o    28435: Composite broken in master

This one appears to have been fixed in
82d41ada993d8cbdcdfea878d1a5b031afe4e593. I'm closing it.

o    28639: Xorg crash in dixSetPrivate

I think I discovered the cause by inspection and posted a patch to the
bug.

Patch summary for release 1.9:

Jesse Barnes (1):
      OS support: fix writeable client vs IgnoreClient behavior

Julien Cristau (3):
      Xephyr: fix memory leak in XF86DRIOpenConnection
      configure: bail if Xephyr was requested but its dependencies are missing
      Xephyr: fix Xv adaptor capability tests

Keith Packard (3):
      xkb: merge lockedPtrButtons state from all attached SDs.
      Initialize dev privates before using any
      Bump to version 1.8.99.904 (1.9 RC4)

Peter Hutterer (1):
      Revert "dix: use the event mask of the grab for TryClientEvents."

Tiago Vignatti (4):
      dix: use one single function to register fpe fonts
      configure: don't check xfont always for each server
      xfree86: pci: remove superfluous vendor and card name logging
      xfree86: configure: remove vendor and card name matching rules

Ville Syrjälä (1):
      xfree86/modes: Allow the driver to specify initial rotation

git tag: xorg-server-1.8.99.904

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/xserver/xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.bz2
MD5:  5e987ddbd3796718b52ee0b7c06b3c68  xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.bz2
SHA1: d0c3d76c873a40074c6bb2e3dc7c13c189a4a93b  xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.bz2

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/xserver/xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.gz
MD5:  e0b706a69249f48f736175e3f93374cb  xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.gz
SHA1: 8376a8ec9033362185fc98c2bfaaf7d40a851a23  xorg-server-1.8.99.904.tar.gz

keith.packard at intel.com