[RFC] Multitouch support, step one

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Mar 16 15:56:19 PDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:10:57 +0100 Henrik Rydberg <rydberg at euromail.se> said:

> Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:42:15PM +0100, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> >> 1. User space wants details, but also consistent behavior for all devices
> >> supporting multitouch.
> >
> > On that aspect, wouldn't it make sense to have a user-side gesture
> > manager process with the same kind of status the window manager has?
> > It could generate synthetic events with new types such as zoom in/out,
> > rotate, etc, but also decide when to forward simple clics, drags...
> >
> > Ultimately, it's where multiplayer experiments could be done.
> >
> >   OG.
>
> That would be interesting, yes. Regarding the gestures, there seems to be a
> general consensus that a library and/or various drivers/managers can work
> together to produce all sorts of fun multitouch and multiuser effects. We only
> need to get the underlying contact interface in place first -- in one form or
> the other.

actually it makes  no sense doing this in a generic sense - not a gesture
manager. it would need LOTS of context. what parts of a window are sensitive to
which gestures, events etc. etc. etc. and what they mean, how and so on - and
that is intrinsically linked TO content. a library toolkits can use to help
recognise gestures - sure. a toolkit - or a whole app knows its content well
enough to make these decisions, but you can't do the gesture stuff without
having context.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com