[PULL] misc cleanups

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 14 11:30:37 PST 2011

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 17:42:40 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> Minor memory usage reductions, some code cleanups, and the connection
> handshake hack for clients to request being treated as non-local (so ssh
> forwarded connecitons don't appear to be local).
>
> ---
>
> The following changes since commit fb22a408c69a84f81905147de9e82cf66ffb6eb2:
>
>   Save major/minor opcodes in ClientRec for RecordAReply (2011-12-01 15:11:20 +0000)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>   ssh://people.freedesktop.org/~ajax/xserver server-1.12-queue
>
> Adam Jackson (7):
>       os: Repack ConnectionOutput for LP64
>       dix: Repack ClientRec
>       dix: Pull client-is-local flag up to the ClientRec
>       dix: Extend initial connection handshake for forwarding proxies

(this allows applications to send r/R instead of l/B in the initial
connection setup to flag the connection as 'remote', even if it is a
local connection, disabling MIT-SHM and DRI2 extensions).

This is a cool idea, and I like it. Was there any discussion on the list
about it?

In particular, I'd love to see:

 1) Documentation. Patches to the X protocol to describe what this means
    seem like the least we can do.

 2) xscope demonstration. This will show how a proxy should handle this,
    including doing a second connection attempt in case the server
    doesn't support the r/R values.

 3) xcb/xtrans/xlib support. Perhaps using 'remotehost:0' as the display
    name? This would make testing applications that want to use DRI2 or
    MIT-SHM a whole lot easier.

Other than this patch, everything else looks like perfectly fine
cleanups to me. Unless I hear objections about this protocol change,
I'll just pull the whole mess in in a day or so.

keith.packard at intel.com