--disable-nls

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 4 14:40:06 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 13:56 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Ah, so the '--disable-nls' configure option is actually from glib's m4
> macros, and a lot of projects picked it up.  I'll see what I can do
> about making a similar macro for util-macros that we can use, but my
> m4 wizardry is a bit lacking.

I don't understand the nature of the problem, so I cannot say if it
would or would not be helpful to have something in util-macros.

> Alan, I seem to recall some i18n related changes coming from Solaris
> over the past few months.  Would this impact that effort in any way?

I came across a bug report where this option did not work on Solaris.
Discussion focused on the lack of compatible gettext on Solaris.

> > I don't have the background to understand all the stuff I read about
> it.
>
> Yeah, I don't know much about localization either (I just listen to
> people who do know about and do what they tell me to do ;>).

We will review what those people tell you to do :-)

> >> --cache-file=/tmp/X11libs.roots/X11libs~obj/configure.cache
> >>
> > If you have a global configuration cache files for multiple modules,
> it
> > has never worked and will never work (reliably).
>
> right, but it works correctly in the very small corner I use it in.

All fine then. So as long as there aren't configuration variables with
the same name.